Dr Abdulazim Akbar
I spent 36 years at Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) where I held various senior positions, including as an Advisor, covering all aspects of the downstream oil, gas and petrochemicals business.
Key responsibilities included development and implementation of high-level strategic projects, multi-billion dollar contract negotiations and formulating and implementing key corporate governance principles across a number of ADNOC Group companies. I have extensive experience in business development studies, establishment of joint ventures, industry master plans, long term business strategies and mega projects management.
Prior to my time at ADNOC, I began my career with a teaching stint at the University of Manchester, Institute of Science and Technology. After this, my first role in the Oil, Gas and Petrochemicals industry was as a Machinery Engineer at Ralph M Parsons in London where I worked on Shell Hydrocracker project UK and Monsanto Acrylic project Ireland.
In ADNOC my work experience include:
- Development of strategic government-level Master Plan for Petrochemical Industry in the UAE
- Membership of Boards Advisory Committees, Corporate Financial Committees, Project Steering Committees, HRAC Committees, etc. of various ADNOC Joint Ventures representing ADNOC
- Overseeing and monitoring the performance of various Joint Venture Companies to ensure profitability and safe, effective and reliable operations
- Development of a Master Plan for an Industrial Zone including Refinery, Gas Processing Plants, Petrochemicals, Infrastructure, Power and Water Plants etc.
- Feasibility studies, development, joint venture negotiations and implementation of multi-billion dollar Mega Projects including:
- Borouge (Petrochemicals JV with Borealis) implementation and expansion
- FERTIL (JV with TOTAL) expansion, including Ammonia/Urea plants
- Grass Root Refinery and Hydrocracker Complex
- Umm al Nar Refinery Expansion
- Development of Corporate Governance Model, Balanced Scorecard and Management Reporting Systems of overall performance of various ADNOC Joint Ventures.
- Business Development
- Studies and Application of new Technologies
- Engineering Design, Specifications and Management
- Development and Administration of Contracts
- Engineering and Maintenance Support to Operating Plants.